Santa Cruz County Online Resources:
- License and Permit Information for Santa Cruz County
- Starting a Business in Santa Cruz County: a guide produced by the Santa Cruz Public Library
- City of Santa Cruz: Licenses and Permits for Business and Business License Tax
- City of Santa Cruz has launched Business Roadmap to Help Entrepreneurs in Santa Cruz when opening a new venture.
- City of Santa Cruz: Freelance/Consultant Guide
- SCORE Santa Cruz County SCORE is a group of entrepreneurs with a lifetime of real world experience to share. We have helped hundreds of small business owners.
Free and confidential.
General Online Information:
- Starting a Business - from the SBA website
- Choosing a Legal Structure for Your Business - from the SBA website
- California State Resources for Businesses
- California State Board of Equalization
- Small Business/Self-Employed website
- Business Opportunities Handbook
- SmartBiz Website
- Franchise Opportunities Online
- Template for Startup/Expansion Financials (xls file)
- California Health Coverage Guide
How-to Online Information:
- OpenCounter Start your business in Santa Cruz, CA
- Start Up Guide from the Santa Cruz SBDC
- SBA.gov has business planning samples and processes online, as well as webinars
- Business Plan Outline from the Small Business Administration
- Bplans.com is the definitive destination for business planning information on the web. Find, view, download and edit sample business plans optimized for the Web
Business Licenses, Permits and Regulations:
Home-based businesses operating in the unincorporated areas of Santa Cruz and Monterey Counties do not require a business license. However, because each county has different requirements and zoning regulations, be sure to check with us.
Financing a Business:
We work closely with local lenders and have information on the various loans available, including:
- All SBA Loan Programs
- Micro-loans for start-up and existing businesses
- Agricultural loans
- Export financing
Non-Profit Startup Resources
There are a couple options available to you to assist in the incorporation process as finding free help for this will be difficult:
- You can hire an attorney or paralegal to help.
- Do it yourself:
They have a great book listed on this webpage that will walk you through the incorporation process and the forms you need to submit to the state and IRS.http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/nonprofit-corporation
If you want to hire an attorney you can call the Santa Cruz Bar Association for a referral at (831) 425-4755 or online at www.santacruzbar.org/.
Cabrillo College Extension: http://www.cabrillo.edu/services/extension/sbdc.html#nonprofit.
Grow Santa Cruz
Flexible Term Loan Financing for City of Santa Cruz Businesses
The City of Santa Cruz Redevelopment Agency and the National Development Council (NDC) have established and capitalized Grow Santa Cruz to assist eligible small businesses within the city of Santa Cruz to obtain the financing from $50K to $300K for working capital, equipment, construction, land or buildings.
In order to qualify for these loans, a business must be:
~ A for-profit existing business
~ Financially healthy and in need of expansion capital
For more information and an application package please contact:
SANTA CRUZ ECOMONIC DEVELOPMENT DEPARTMENT
J Guevara, Economic Development Coordinator
337 Locust Street, Santa Cruz, CA 95060
(831) 420- 5154
Small Business Administration
The U.S. Small Business Administration, established in 1953, provides financial, technical and management assistance to help Americans start, run, and grow their businesses.
California Community Colleges Economic and Workforce Development Program
The Economic and Workforce Development Program provides a variety of solutions for business development and workforce training needs. It delivers everything from basic jobsite skills to advanced biotech training. It assists thousands of people – from small business to aerospace giants. To stay ahead of that “technology curve,” successful ventures, both public and private, realize the value of promoting education and enhancing employee skills. They need customized education, training, and onsite learning as well as information and sound advice for the planning and marketing of goods and services. Delivered through California Community Colleges, the Economic and Workforce Development Program strengthens on-the-job performance and business competitiveness, making California’s economy stronger. The program has a track record of success and brings in outside investment. It responds to regional economies and provides access for California Community College student.
The mission of Cabrillo College in Santa Cruz County, California is to deliver quality education responsive to the needs of the community and to facilitate open access and achievement for all students.
Community Education and Corporate Training at Cabrillo College
Community Education and Corporate Training provides a wide variety of classes and programs to the general public and also to companies for the exclusive benefit of their employees.
Worldwide Government Information Servers
Capitola City Government
Santa Cruz County Government
Santa Cruz City Government
Doing Business with the City of Santa Cruz
NEW! Santa Cruz City Business Gateway
Scotts Valley City Government
Watsonville City Government
Monterey County Government
California State Government
State Government Agencies: an alphabetical list of state agencies on the Internet.
California State Legislative Information
California State Senate: includes link to user's guide and tutorial on how to find legislative information; also provides a link to legislative bill searches.
California Electronic Government is a comprehensive list of California governmental Web sites (e.g., budget, DMV, California Air Resources Board, etc.) and California municipalities, including descriptions of what is available at each site and links to out-of-state sites.
California Employer Advisory Council - specifically geared to helping employers.
Santa Cruz County Conference and Visitors Council
Chambers of Commerce:
- Aptos Chamber of Commerce
- California Black Chamber of Commerce
- California Chamber of Commerce
- Capitola-Soquel Chamber of Commerce
- International Chamber of Commerce and City-State-Province Directory
- Pajaro Valley Chamber of Commerce
- San Lorenzo Valley Chamber of Commerce
- Scotts Valley Chamber of Commerce
- Santa Cruz Area Chamber of Commerce
- United Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Better Business Bureau offers consumer tips.
- Consumer World has gathered useful consumer resources on the Internet.
- National Fraud Information Center alerts users to scams being perpetrated on the Net.
- Employment Law Guide
- California Employer Advisory Council - specifically geared to helping employers and provides access to a free labor law attorney with membership.
- Workforce Santa Cruz Business Services
- Workforce Santa Cruz Employee Subsidies
- Employment Training Panel
- Federal/State Basic Payroll Tax Seminar
- Federal Business Council
- Federal Government FirstGov
- Government Information Locator Service (GILS)
- Small Business Administration
- U.S. Census Bureau Website
- U.S. General Services Administration
- The United States International Trade Commission
- U. S. Trade Statistics
- California Environmental Quality Act
- Tax Information for California
- Federal/State Basic Payroll Tax Seminar
- CalGOLD: Permit Assistance Centers
- Capitola City Government
- Santa Cruz County Government
- Search all City of Santa Cruz licensed businesses through the Business License Database.
- Santa Cruz City Government
- Watsonville City Government
- Santa Cruz Economic Development
- Workforce Santa Cruz is a site developed to bring together many agencies in Santa Cruz County.
Group Activities: Trade Shows, Seminars, Events
- Trade India will help you in establishing business contacts with Indian Manufacturers, Exporters, Importers, etc.
- Martindale's Reference Desk from University of California, Irvine includes almost anything you'd need for international travel, including foreign law, dictionaries, weather, and currency exchange rates.
- The Enterprise Development Website - Micro, Small and Medium Enterprise Development in developed and developing countries
- California Center for International Trade Development
- California Trade Port
- CIBS Canadian foreign affairs and international trade.
- globalEDGE: Regional or country specific information from the International Business Resources offered by Michigan State University.
- International Trade resources from Michigan State University.
- MBITA Monterey Bay International Trade Association.
- National Trade Database
- North American Free Trade Agreement Net
- Small Business Exporters Association
- Trade Research and Data Exchange
- Business USA
Internet Business Tools:
Google Apps and other small business tools
Wordpress.com for website development and blogging
Online yellow pages: